Published on March 10, 2021
Weld County Sheriff’s Office deputies on Saturday saved a young man from a suspected drug overdose after he was found unresponsive by his family.
Deputies responded at 10:47 a.m. Saturday to a medical assist call at a home in the 10700 block of Weld County Road 14 1/2, west of Fort Lupton. Once on scene, deputies were taken to a bathroom where a 19-year-old man was lying on the floor unresponsive and gasping for breath. A family member thought the man could have been overdosing on fentanyl and Xanax.
Deputies administered a four-milligram dose of Narcan nasal spray, which caused the man to become more alert. When an ambulance arrived at the scene, medical staff administered another two milligrams of Narcan intravenously before transporting the man to Platte Valley Medical Center. The man was expected to survive the incident.
Deputies later learned family found the man unresponsive in his bed. A family member then moved him to the bathroom to pour water on his head to try to wake him up while another drove to multiple stores in Fort Lupton searching for Narcan. Close to an hour passed before family finally decided to call 911.
This call could have had a much different outcome. The Weld County Sheriff’s Office urges residents to call 911 for help at the first sign of an emergency.