Skip To Content


Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I evict someone?

There are four steps: written notice, filing court paperwork (FED), court appearance and the actual eviction date. This process usually takes about a month to complete. It is unlawful for a landlord to turn off utilities, change locks or otherwise remove or restrict tenants from a residence before the complete eviction process has occurred.

Please note that all Weld County Sheriff's Office employees are prohibited by law from giving legal advice (C.R.S. 30-10-520). Consult an attorney for legal advice.

Step One: Notice

The landlord must complete a written notice to the tenant, such as a Demand for Compliance, Right to Possession or Notice to Quit. This notice must state the landlord's demand for possession of the property, the date/time that the tenants need to move out (length of time can depend on several factors, such as terms agreed to in a lease. Ask an attorney for legal advice.) and must be signed by the landlord or his agent/attorney. The landlord may serve the notice on the tenant, other occupant or a relative over the age of 18 living at the residence. If no one is present, the notice may be posted in an obvious place (i.e. front door). A copy of the notice is required for the next step.

Step Two: Summons in Forcible Entry and Detainer (FED)

If the tenants do not move out by the date specified in the written notice, the landlord must bring a copy of the notice to the Weld County Courthouse, 915 10th St. in Greeley, and file a Summons in Forcible Entry and Detainer. The FED is served on the tenants (now referred to as defendants). The documents may be served by the Weld County Sheriff's Office, a private process server or a person over the age of 18 who isn’t a party to the action. Service on the defendant or a family member over the age of 18 must be made at least seven (7) calendar days prior to the court date. If service can’t be made in person by the deadline, the papers can be posted. A copy of the FED must also be mailed to the defendant no later than the next day following your filing date.

Step Three: Court Hearing

If the court finds in favor of the plaintiff (landlord), a judgment will be entered for possession of the premises. The defendant (tenant) may file an answer contesting the claim. If personal service was made, the court may also award a money judgment. If the service was by posting, the money judgment may be obtained later through a separate action (i.e. small claims court) or a continuance to try to obtain personal service. If the court rules in favor of the defendant, they may be entitled to a judgment for costs.

Step Four: Writ of Restitution

If the plaintiff is awarded the judgment and no appeal is filed, the court will issue the Writ of Restitution after 48 hours. If the tenants move out on their own during this period, the plaintiff does not have to obtain the Writ of Restitution. If/when the Writ of Restitution is brought to the Weld County Sheriff's Office, a date and time will be scheduled for the deputy to do the eviction. Only a sheriff's office deputy can execute the Writ of Restitution (valid for 49 days). The deputy has the authority to reschedule an eviction. 

Eviction Day

On the day of the eviction the plaintiff must provide enough bags and boxes, and physical labor to remove all belongings from the residence in approximately one hour. The deputy doesn’t assist in the moving of property. If the landlord doesn’t have enough people or supplies to remove all belongings in an hour, the eviction may be rescheduled. The local city code usually determines when the property must be removed from the sidewalk or right of way after the eviction. Locks can be changed after all belongings have been removed from the premises. Abandoned pets will be turned over to a local animal control officer for that jurisdiction. Abandoned vehicles are the responsibility of the property owner.

19th Judicial District Landlord Eviction Guidelines
2020 Weld County Sheriff's Office Eviction Guidelines

Fees for Eviction Services:

Written Notice/Demand: $35 + mileage (additional defendants $10 each).

Forcible Entry and Detainer: $35 + mileage (additional defendants $10 each).

Writ of Restitution: $65 + mileage (additional defendants $10 each).

Do I need to evict someone even if there is no lease?

Usually if the person(s) is living at the residence with or without a lease for any period of time, the landlord must go through the eviction process to remove a tenant. Consult an attorney for answers to specific situations. Under Colorado law (C.R.S. 13-40-122(2)), a landlord who complies with the lawful direction of the deputy during an eviction shall be immune from civil or criminal liability for any damages to tenant's belongings during and after the execution of the eviction.

Contact Information

Weld County Sheriff's Office

1950 O Street
Greeley, CO 80631
phone: (970) 356-4015
toll free: (800) 436-9276

Civil Unit

Zachary Vaughn - Sergeant

phone: (970) 400-3934

Civil Process Questions?

phone: (970) 400-2823
phone: (970) 400-2829​

Sheriff Sale Questions?

phone: (970) 400-2823
phone: (970) 400-2829

Eviction Audio Line

phone: (970) 400-3051