Animal Control Unit

Deputy Perun and Puppy The Animal Control Unit of the Weld County Sheriff's Office employs three, full-time animal control officers, or ACOs. Two ACOs are on duty Monday through Thursday. One ACO works Friday, Saturday and Sunday to ensure the unit is staffed seven days a week, including major holidays. Animal control officers work 10-hour shifts and are generally on duty between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. Animal control officers are available for call outs for emergencies only.

Our officers handle animal related complaints for the county. The Animal Control Unit deals ONLY with calls in unincorporated parts of the county. If you live inside the city limits of your town, contact your local police department or your town hall for animal-related issues. As a general rule, if your city or town has a mayor, then our ACOs don't handle calls in your town.

For in-progress animal issues, call Weld County Non-Emergency Dispatch at (970) 350-9600, option 4. 

Common Calls

ACO Kidder and Dog Common ACO calls include

  • Dog at-large.
  • Contained animal.
  • Animal bite.
  • Animal welfare checks.
  • General animal complaints (a wide variety of calls can fall under this umbrella).

Our animal control officers handle animal-related complaints for the county. The Animal Control Unit deals only with calls in unincorporated parts of the county.

If you live inside the city limits of your town, contact your local police department or your town hall for animal-related issues. As a general rule, if your city or town has a mayor, then our ACOs don't handle calls in your town.

Animal Control in the Community

With help from the MaxFund and local veterinarians, we have been able to hold low cost vaccination and spay/neuter & microchip clinics for our residents in the communities of Aristocrat Acres, Galeton, Gill, Camfield, River Valley Village and Longview Estates. At last count we have spayed or neutered approximately 500 animals and vaccinated close to 1,000 animals.

Cat Rescue Video

Frequently Asked Questions

What areas of the county does the Sheriff’s Office Animal Control cover?

The ACO unit deals ONLY with calls in the unincorporated parts of the county. 

If you live inside the city limits of your town, contact your local police department or your town hall for animal-related problems. As a general rule, if your city or town has a mayor, then our ACO doesn't handle calls in your town. 

 Areas and towns not covered by Weld County ACO include:
Ault, Brighton, Broomfield, Dacono, Eaton, Erie, Evans, Firestone, Frederick, Ft. Lupton, Gilcrest, Greeley, Grover, Hudson, Johnstown, Keenesburg, Kersey, La Salle, Lochbuie, Longmont, Mead, Milliken, New Raymer, Northglenn, Nunn, Pierce, Platteville, Severance, Thornton, Windsor

The towns not covered by Weld ACO’s will have an animal control officer, an appointed person to handle animal calls or calls will be handled by any on-duty police officer. If the town person in unavailable, the duty falls to the mayor.

Weld County ACO does cover the following unincorporated towns:
 (As well as many other subdivisions and developments throughout the county.)
Barnesville, Briggsdale, Carr, Camfield, Deerfield, Gill, Galeton, Hardin, Masters, Peckham, Prospect Valley and Wattenberg

What hours are officers available?

Our officers are available 7 days a week, including all major holidays. As a general rule, officers are on duty from about 8 a.m. – 6p.m. Any calls outside of these hours will be handled at the discretion of deputies, as calls allow.

Does Weld County have a leash law?

Yes, Weld County has adopted an ordinance, 14-4-20, that reflects the necessity to keep your dog on your own, rented or leased property. A dog is considered at large when not under the control of the owner, which means physical restraint of a leash or containing device.

Go to MuniCode Sec. 14 Health and Animals for more information.

What are the fines of my dog is caught running at large?

A summons of $35 may be issued with a first offense. The fine can increase in amount for subsequent offenses. Five or more offenses will result in a mandatory court appearance. These are all within a 36 month time period.

What happens if my dog bites or inflicts injury to a person? To an animal?

A dog is not considered in control of the owner if it is harassing, chasing or attacking people, livestock or wildlife. A dog bite is reported to the Weld County Health Department, and the dog is quarantined for 10 days. This can be done on location at the owners’ home, or at a private boarding kennel, vet clinic or shelter, at the owners’ expense. It is unlawful for anyone to allow a dog to inflict bodily injury while the dog is running at large. It is a Class 2 misdemeanor. If the dog is off the owner’s property when the bite occurs, a summons may be issued to the dog owner requiring a court appearance. If a dog is off the owner's property and injures another animal, a summons may be issued requiring the dog owner to pay a fine. The fine is dependent upon the the number of previous incidents and can range from $35 to a mandatory court appearance.

Where will my dog be taken if it is caught running at large? And how long will it be kept?

If a dog is caught running at large, it will be picked up and taken to:
NOCO Humane
1620 42nd Street
Evans, CO 80620

Phone: (970) 506-9550

Monday - Friday 11a.m. - 7p.m.
Saturday - Sunday: 11a.m. - 5p.m.
All animal transactions stop 1 hour before close 

The owner is responsible for the charges of the impoundment and necessary vet cost. The fee is set by the shelter. A dog will be kept for a minimum of 5 days. If your animal is found and had a collar and tags, or microchip, every possible effort will be made to contact you. If we cannot reach you, the animal will be taken to the shelter.

What do I do if I am bit by an animal?

The law requires all animal bites that break the skin (with the exception of rodents) be reported to the animal control office in the jurisdiction where the bite occurred. If there is any question, please contact us at (970) 400-2849.

Q. What happens if my animal bites someone?

A. If your animal bites someone, an animal control officer will need to meet with you and place your animal on a 10-day quarantine. This can be done at your home, at a humane society, private boarding kennel or vet clinic. The location of the quarantine will depend on your ability to keep the animal confined during the 10 days. If at any time during the 10 days your animal breaks the quarantine and leaves your property, for anything other than a medical emergency, we may quarantine it at the Humane Society of Weld County at your cost.

If the dog is off the owner's property when the bite occurs, a summons may be issued to the dog owner requiring a court appearance.

What do you do with injured animals?

If an injured animal is picked up by our officers, we will take it to a vet for appropriate treatment. In the case of livestock, we may have a vet respond to the location of the injured animal. We will try to take the animal to the vet clinic closet to where the animal was found. Some of those clinics include but are not limited to:

  • Eaton Animal Den, 231 S. Elm Ave., Eaton - (970) 454-1700
  • PETS Emergency Clinic, 3629 23rd Ave., Evans - (970) 339-8700
  • Carbon Valley Animal Hospital, 521 Sherilynn Circle, Firestone -(303) 833-2244
  • Coal Ridge Animal Hospital, 6171 CR 20, Firestone -(303) 833-1137
  • Colorado State University, 300 W. Drake Road, Fort Collins -(970) 297-5000(Livestock)
  • Ft Lupton Vet Hospital, 1025 1st St., Fort Lupton -(303) 857-6860
  • Alpine Veterinary Hospital, 131 N. 35th Ave., Greeley -(970) 352-8835
  • Countryside Large animal, 3765 W. O St., Greeley -(970) 351-7045(Livestock)
  • Mackey Vet Service, 1901 1st Ave., Greeley -(970) 353-0995(Livestock)
  • Westridge Animal Hospital, 8225 W. 20th St., Greeley -(970) 330-7283
  • Animal Emergency & Critical Care, 104 S. Main St., Longmont -(303) 678-8844

What are the licensing fees in Weld County?

Weld County does not require you to license or register your animals if you live in unincorporated areas of the county. Each city and town has its own laws regarding animal registration. Be sure to check with your city or town to find out the local regulations. We highly recommend all dogs have a collar and tags with owner information. When collars and tags aren't practical, we recommend having your pets microchipped. We carry microchip scanners and can easily return an animal to an owner if we are able to locate microchips.

Q. Does Weld County require my animal have a rabies vaccination?

A. No. If you live in an unincorporated area of Weld County, you are not required to vaccinate for rabies. However, it is highly recommended. If you live in a city or town, you will need to check with local rules and regulations regarding vaccinations.

- While Weld County does not require rabies vaccinations, cities and towns may. To help keep you, your family and pets safe and healthy, we recommend pets stay up to date on all vaccinations - 

Is there a limit of the number of animals I can have?

YES! Weld County has zoning ordinances that reflect the number of animal units allowed in a particular zoned area of the county. Zone A (agriculture) may have up to four dogs/cats on a property between 1 and 10 acres in size, and no more than eight dogs/cats on a property of 10 acres or more. Having more animals than that requires a special use permit for kenneling practices. These cases will be referred to the Weld County Planning and Zoning Services Department

Does Weld County have a cat ordinance?

No. Weld County does not have a cat ordinance. If you find a stray cat, it is your responsibility to take it to an appropriate animal rescue or shelter or to a veterinarian. Our officers will not pick it up.

Does Weld County have a barking dog ordinance?

No. Weld County does not have a barking dog ordinance. Barking dogs are exempt from the county noise ordinance. Each town however, does have its own rules and ordinances regarding barking dogs.


Q. Does Weld County pick up wildlife?

A. Our officers have limited resources available to deal with wildlife. Sick/Injured wildlife calls are handled on a case-by-case basis. If the animal can get around (walk, fly, swim, etc.) on its own then it should be left alone. If the animal is unable to move or it has a life threatening injury, an officer may respond to pick up the animal depending on size and animal type. If you have general questions about wildlife issues, call Colorado Parks and Wildlife at (303) 297-1192. If you have a wildlife emergencycall the Colorado State Patrol at (303) 239-4500. For more wildlife related issues or questions, please visit the Colorado Parks & Wildlife Website

You can also contact Greenwood Wildlife Rehabilitation Center at (303) 823-8455 or the Greenwood Wildlife Website for more information.

If you have found an injured bird of prey (owl, hawk, eagle) you can contact Colorado Parks and Wildlife, The Birds of Prey Foundation, or the Rocky Mountain Raptor Program.  

You can also contact Greenwood Wildlife Rehabilitation Center at (303) 823-8455.

~ To keep your pets and family safe, it is recommended that you avoid handling any wild animal and make sure your pets are up to date on all vaccinations ~

Q. Does Weld County pick up dead wildlife?

A. No. We do not pick up dead wildlife. If it has been hit in the roadway and is causing a hazard, we will move it off of the roadway, but we will not pick it up.

Dead Animals

Q. Does Weld County pick up dead animals?

A. Our officers will pick up dogs that have been hit on the road only. If your pet dies, we will not pick it up from you. We do not pick up dead wildlife.

The Colorado Parks and Wildlife Division hosts a complete list of Colorado’s wildlife statutes and regulations.
For information about co-existing with wildlife, visit the CPW website..

ACO Helpful Information

Animal Disease

Canine Parvovirus Type 2 (CPV-2) is a highly contagious virus that attacks white blood cells and the gastrointestinal tract of puppies, dogs, and wild canids (foxes, wolves, coyotes). All dogs are at risk, and to find out more visit, Canine parvovirus | American Veterinary Medical Association (

Leptospirosis is a disease caused by infection with the Leptospira bacteria, which can be found worldwide in soil and water. There are many strains of Leptospira bacteria that can cause disease in animals, to find out more, go to, the American Veterinary Medical Association

Rabies is a deadly disease caused by the rabies virus that attacks the nervous system. Rabies kills tens of thousands of people every year and is preventable, visit the American Veterinary Medical Association rabies page to find out more.