Civil Unit

The Weld County Sheriff's Office, as part of a state-mandated function, serves civil process and precepts from the courts. Civil papers are generally court-issued documents, but may also pertain to small claims court summons or subpoenas. A fee for service is required along with a fee for the mileage, which varies. CORRECT PREPAYMENT IS REQUIRED.

Papers received with incorrect amounts may be subject to delay or return.

Staff members of the Weld County Sheriff's Office are not allowed to give legal advice.

Please call (970) 400-2922 for questions regarding fee amounts, civil process or sheriff sales.


Please send a self-addressed, stamped envelope with your papers. If your affidavit of service requires each document to be listed or anything unique, please send the prepared affidavit.

Sheriff Sales Information

Sheriff Sales are held on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 10 a.m. in front lobby of the Weld County Sheriff's Office Administration Building, 1950 O Street in Greeley. Sheriff's Sales are held only after advertisement in the local daily newspaper.

Sheriff Sale Checklist(PDF, 322KB)

Upcoming sheriff sales

October 2022:

Sale No. 22CP1597(PDF, 96KB)Rescheduled to 10 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 6.

Sale No. 21CP4112(PDF, 99KB)Re-scheduled to 10 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 11.

Sale No. 22CP1699(PDF, 95KB)Rescheduled to 10 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 13.

November 2022:

Sale No. 22CP3217(PDF, 117KB): Scheduled for 10 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 17.

Sale No. 21CP3724:(PDF, 119KB) Re-scheduled to 10 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 29.

December 2022:

Sale No. 22CP3400(PDF, 96KB): Scheduled for 10 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 1.



Court Forms Online

Forms may be obtained in person from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday at the Weld County Courthouse, Centennial Center-Plaza South, 915 10th St. in Greeley.

You may also visit the Self-Help Center of the Colorado Judicial Branch.

Judicial Self-Help Information(PDF, 180KB)

For more information:
Centennial Center-Plaza South
915 10th St.
Greeley, CO 80631
phone: (970) 475-2400

The Eviction Process

There are four steps: written notice, filing court paperwork (FED), court appearance and the actual eviction date. This process usually takes about a month to complete. It is unlawful for a landlord to turn off utilities, change locks or otherwise remove or restrict tenants from a residence before the complete eviction process has occurred.

Please note that all Weld County Sheriff's Office employees are prohibited by law from giving legal advice (C.R.S. 30-10-520). Consult an attorney for legal advice.

Step One: Notice

The landlord must complete a written notice to the tenant, such as a Demand for Compliance, Right to Possession or Notice to Quit. This notice must state the landlord's demand for possession of the property, the date/time that the tenants need to move out (length of time can depend on several factors, such as terms agreed to in a lease. Ask an attorney for legal advice.) and must be signed by the landlord or his agent/attorney. The landlord may serve the notice on the tenant, other occupant or a relative over the age of 18 living at the residence. If no one is present, the notice may be posted in an obvious place (i.e. front door). A copy of the notice is required for the next step.

Step Two: Summons in Forcible Entry and Detainer (FED)

If the tenants do not move out by the date specified in the written notice, the landlord must bring a copy of the notice to the Weld County Courthouse, 915 10th St. in Greeley, and file a Summons in Forcible Entry and Detainer. The FED is served on the tenants (now referred to as defendants). The documents may be served by the Weld County Sheriff's Office, a private process server or a person over the age of 18 who isn’t a party to the action. Service on the defendant or a family member over the age of 18 must be made at least seven (7) calendar days prior to the court date. If service can’t be made in person by the deadline, the papers can be posted. A copy of the FED must also be mailed to the defendant no later than the next day following your filing date.

Step Three: Court Hearing

If the court finds in favor of the plaintiff (landlord), a judgment will be entered for possession of the premises. The defendant (tenant) may file an answer contesting the claim. If personal service was made, the court may also award a money judgment. If the service was by posting, the money judgment may be obtained later through a separate action (i.e. small claims court) or a continuance to try to obtain personal service. If the court rules in favor of the defendant, they may be entitled to a judgment for costs.

Step Four: Writ of Restitution

If the plaintiff is awarded the judgment and no appeal is filed, the court will issue the Writ of Restitution after 48 hours. If the tenants move out on their own during this period, the plaintiff does not have to obtain the Writ of Restitution. If/when the Writ of Restitution is brought to the Weld County Sheriff's Office, a date and time will be scheduled for the deputy to do the eviction. Only a sheriff's office deputy can execute the Writ of Restitution (valid for 49 days). The deputy has the authority to reschedule an eviction. 

Eviction Day

On the day of the eviction the plaintiff must provide enough bags and boxes, and physical labor to remove all belongings from the residence in approximately one hour. The deputy doesn’t assist in the moving of property. If the landlord doesn’t have enough people or supplies to remove all belongings in an hour, the eviction may be rescheduled. The local city code usually determines when the property must be removed from the sidewalk or right of way after the eviction. Locks can be changed after all belongings have been removed from the premises. Abandoned pets will be turned over to a local animal control officer for that jurisdiction. Abandoned vehicles are the responsibility of the property owner.

19th Judicial District Landlord Eviction Guidelines
2022 Weld County Sheriff's Office Eviction Guidelines(PDF, 209KB)

Fees for Eviction Services:

Written Notice/Demand: $35 mileage (additional defendants $10 each).

Forcible Entry and Detainer: $35 mileage (additional defendants $10 each).

Writ of Restitution: $65 mileage (additional defendants $10 each).

Civil Process Fees

If you have civil papers to be served with an Erie, Longmont or Brighton mailing address, please call us to verify that the address is in Weld County and not a neighboring county , such as Boulder, Larimer or Adams. This will enable us to direct you to the proper jurisdiction and help eliminate wasted trips and fees.

Civil Process Fees

Civil Process Fee(PDF, 335KB)
Civil Mileage Fees(PDF, 93KB)

Civil Process Forms


Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to evict someone even if there is no lease?

Usually if the person(s) is living at the residence with or without a lease for any period of time, the landlord must go through the eviction process to remove a tenant. Consult an attorney for answers to specific situations. Under Colorado law (C.R.S. 13-40-122(2)), a landlord who complies with the lawful direction of the deputy during an eviction shall be immune from civil or criminal liability for any damages to tenant's belongings during and after the execution of the eviction.

Where do I take my civil papers to be served by the Sheriff's Office?

Papers for service are only accepted from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday at the Weld County Sheriff’s Office Administration Building, 1950 O St. in Greeley. The office is closed holidays and weekends. The person(s) you are serving must live or work in Weld County and you must provide an address for service. We do not research or release information/addresses. Please be advised that some employers do not allow us to serve civil process at their place of business.

Is there a fee to serve civil papers?

There are fees set by state statute based on the type of document and number of parties being served. In addition, there is a mileage fee based on the city where the paper is to be served. If we are not able to serve your paper, you will get a separate partial refund.

Civil Process Fee(PDF, 181KB)
Civil Process Mileage Chart(PDF, 93KB)

When will my papers be served?

Papers received for service are prioritized according to the deadline set by state statute.

Where can I get civil forms?

Forms may be obtained in-person from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday at the Weld County Courthouse, Centennial Center-Plaza South, 915 10th St. in Greeley.

You may also visit the Self-Help Center of the Colorado Judicial Branch.

Judicial Self-Help Information(PDF, 180KB)

How do I get a civil standby?

The Weld County Sheriff's Office won't conduct a civil standby without a court order. If the standby request is because you were served a Protection Order, contact law enforcement in the city where you need to get your belongings.

How do I get a Civil Temporary Protection Order?

File paperwork from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday at the Weld County Courthouse, 915 10th St. in Greeley. For more information, call (970) 475-2400.

Once a Protection Order has been issued by a judge, you can have any person over the age of 18 who isn't a party in the case serve the documents. The documents can also be served by the Weld County Sheriff's Office by paying the appropriate fees, if any.

The person(s) you are serving must live in Weld County and you must provide an address for service. We do not research or release information/addresses.

Temporary Protection Order Information Sheet(PDF, 173KB)

When are Sheriff's Sales held?

Sheriff Sales are held at 10 a.m. on the scheduled day in the lobby of the Weld County Sheriff's Office Administration Building, 1950 O Street in Greeley. Sheriff’s Sales are held only after publication in the local newspaper.

Sheriff Sale Checklist(PDF, 322KB)