Concealed Handgun Permit

Handgun In order to carry a concealed handgun in the state of Colorado you must have a permit.

The law changed May 18, 2003, to enable citizens to carry a statewide permit. Please see the permit application link below for more information. For questions, call (970) 400-2865.


Applications must be returned to Weld County Sheriff's Office Administration Building, 1950 O St. in Greeley. Walk-ins are welcome, no appointments are necessary. Applications are accepted from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Applications also are processed by appointment at the Southwest Substation, 4209 CR 24 ½ in Longmont. Call (720) 652-4215 to make an appointment.

Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) applications must be filled out completely. If the address on the front of the applicant's driver’s license doesn't match the current address, and you don't have proof of your current address, the application will not be accepted. Digital copies of driver's licenses are not acceptable. 

Acceptable documents for proof of address include:

  • Electric bill
  • Sewer bill
  • Lease agreement
  • Town Bill
  • Gas bill
  • Mortgage statement
  • Property tax statement

Renewal Process

As of January 7, 2016, there is no longer a waiting period for CHP renewals. Renewals can be completed on the spot at the Weld County Sheriff's Office Administration Building, 1950 O St. in Greeley with the following documents: current driver's license (digital copy not accepted) and current concealed handgun permit. Additional documentation may be required but is not limited to, proof of address, proof of name change, official court documents of legal name change, and marriage license. 

However, if the renewal applicant has undergone a name change since first acquiring a CHP, such as by marriage, divorce or preference, state law requires a copy of the court documents or marriage certificate be included with the paperwork to verify the applicant's identity. State law also requires a fresh set of fingerprints be included for renewal applicants who have undergone a name change.

ATTENTION: If you are retired law enforcement with a concealed handgun permit with the Weld County Sheriff’s Office and need to get your qualification done, please call Deputy J.D. Broderius at (970) 400-4027.

Concealed Handguns Permit Forms

Concealed Handgun Packet(PDF, 487KB)

Lost/Stolen/Address Change(PDF, 46KB)

Alien supplementary questionnaire (ASQ) to implement federal immigration status requirements(PDF, 41KB)

Retired Officer Application(PDF, 97KB)